Who is that anti-cancer red fruit which protects against heart disease? Also, that fruit guards memory and brain function and has much more health benefits. Continue with reading to find out…
First of all, that fruit is pomegranate and it is categorized as a berry loaded with important nutrients :
- Protein: 3 g.
- Fiber: 7 g.
- Vitamin C: 30%
- Vitamin K: 36%
- Potassium: 12%
- Folate: 16%
Pomegranate seeds are very sweet and they are called arils. One cup contains 24 grams of sugar and 144 calories. They are rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals and bioactive plant compounds which have potent medicinal properties, but they also contain some sugar.
Two substances in pomegranates are responsible for most of their health benefits and they are Punicalagins and Punicic Acid. Punicalagins are antioxidants from the juice and peel of a pomegranate and they are extremely powerful. Pomegranate extract and powder is made from the peel, due to its high antioxidant and punicalagin content. Punicic Acid or pomegranate seed oil, is the main fatty acid in the arils.
OTHER HEALTH BENEFITS OF POMEGRANATES
- Pomegranate has impressive anti-inflammatory effects which means that they have health benefits in heart disease, cancer, type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease and even obesity.
- Also, it can reduce inflammatory activity in the digestive tract, as well as in breast cancer and colon cancer cells.
- Pomegranate can help in fighting prostate cancer. Actually, it’s the most common type of cancer in men. Pomegranates can also slow down cancer cell reproduction and even induce apoptosis or cell death in cancer cells.
- Pomegranate can lower blood pressure.
- They can also fight arthritis and joint pain.
- Pomegranate can help in fighting bacterial and fungal infections. Therefore, they can help in fighting harmful microorganisms as well as the yeast Candida albicans. Also, this includes conditions like gingivitis, periodontitis and denture stomatitis.
- Pomegranate juice seems like can help in treating erectile dysfunction.
- Also, pomegranate can help to improve memory. This means that they can protect against Alzheimer’s disease.
- Finally, pomegranate can improve exercise performance.
In conclusion, you can make a juice from pomegranates or maybe eat them raw. Either way, you’ll be healthy and happy.